Monday, July 16, 2012

Shopping Ban

This day has been knocking on my door for some time now:  I'm declaring a temporary suspension of shopping upon myself.


Super sad face  :(


This here is a 4 part edict about the suspension (I'm making this up right now, so it's not a professional, recommended or tested process):


Part 1:  Declaration of Intent
I shall declare my Shopping Ban to the internets (you).  Once I hit "publish" and this post goes live, I can't take it back.


Part 2:  Rules and Regulations
I will not shop for clothes, shoes, accessories or other personal non-essentials until October.  This should allow me and my credit card to recover.  Also, a shopping budget must be written up - and strictly followed - by September 30.


Part 3:  Support the Goal
I will clean out my closets and dressers and find some clothes that I haven't seen in a while, remix old and forgotten items and donate the rest.  With every bag I take to Goodwill I can spend $5 at the thrift store.  I also must quit "window shopping" online.  Resist the urge to click links that all you bloggers link up for me (online shopping is one of my major problems.)

Part 4:  Document and keep myself honest on the blog
I will make sure that I like what I wear and continue to dress myself thoughtfully and tell you all about it.  Yep, you might hear me doing lots of complaining.  Sorry!  Hopefully I will have some interesting new outfits made out of old and forgotten clothes and learn a few things on the way to October.

Let's hear it for October!  I already have a list of things I need.  Eeeek... this is going to be tough!


Oh!  So, I knew this day was coming and I shopped a little last week (and last month and the month before...) 






First, a $10 floral dress from Macy's.  It's that time of year when all the summer stuff is dirt cheap!  I could not have started my shopping ban without checking out these sales first.  I spent about $30 last Wednesday at the mall and came away with this dress, a $7 skirt and 2 tops.  I was a happy shopper.

Next, the shoes are Danskos.  I've wanted a pair of these forever because everyone keeps singing the comfort tune about this brand.  I found this pair on Steep and Cheap a couple of weeks ago.  They are sized by European numbers and I took a wild guess at what would work.  The big toe hangs off the front a tad, but I've been wearing them a lot and they feel FABULOUS!  I lurch around with size 9 or 9.5 footsies and my quick Google search said to order the 40.

Hopefully my shopping ban brings out the best in my wardrobe and gets my retirement planning back on track.  Wish me luck!!








9 comments:

  1. You go girl! I will be cheering you on during your shopping ban! I believe in you. You can do this.

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady. I made it through today!

      Delete
  2. WOW big challenge! Looking forward to your triumphant and complaining blog posts! I bet you'll find some great things along the way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your challenge... you can do it! I think you will be amazed what you find in the back of your closet! Can't wait to hear about your experience!
    xx
    Here&Now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! You can do it :) I love the idea that for every bag you donate to Goodwill you give yourself $5 to spend there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need to join you in your shopping ban!!! Ugh! Best of luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long distance support. I bet you got some gems in that closet that need to be worn again!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this list and the rules you have come up with for yourself. Idk, if I could do it! But good luck!

    Marisa
    http://brokewithdesignertaste.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks everyone. Guess what? I didn't shop today! 1 day at a time, right?!

      Delete