Monday, June 18, 2012

Local Indie Flea Markets

Oooh Ooooh - I got out of the house this weekend!  In an effort to meet the more indy stylish people of my town I headed out to the Clutter Market, a bi-monthly curated Indie do-it-yourself market.  (Bi-monthly?  Oh man, I didn't even know about it until last week - see what I mean about not getting out of the house...)

Clutter on FB


I want to make this blogging thing (either here at More Charming or maybe something new) into something that involves me being a little bit more active in my city.  I love all the bloggers I'm getting to know - virtually, but a girl needs some real friends, too, right?  Actually, I'm not pouring out my loneliness issues on you here - this is more about jumping into a art and fashion community that deserves support.  And getting myself away from the damned computer.

Yesterday I headed on down to Clutter V:  Outside.  The weather was muggy and a little windy, but I'm not complaining - I love summer weather!  I brought my camera and got myself all braved up to talk to most of the vendors and take their pictures.  It's easy to type, "I'm more charming in person because I'm a little awkward online".  But to put on a smile and say, "my blog is More Charming in Person" and here I am in person... do you believe me?  Yikes - I never thought of this dilemma when I named my blog. 

I bought all kinds of jewelry and met all kinds of great people.  The market was a little small and a little quiet, but there's so much potential.  I'm going to wear, photograph and post all the great stuff I bought throughout the week!

I doubt there's anyone reading this that doesn't believe in supporting your local artists.  But sometimes it's easier to head to the mall or shop online than it is to head out to the markets and craft fairs.  I'm sure there is more going on Buffalo than I know about and I'm going to do my best to find it and support it.






6 comments:

  1. It can be more work to support local artists, or at least it can feel that way, but I agree that it's totally worth it. I can't wait to see all your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to get out and do something new. I love buying stuff from local artists or stores. The pieces are so unique. Can't wait to see what you found!

    Marisa
    http://brokewithdesignertaste.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is so awesome you are making a conscious effort to do things outside of your "norm." Power to ya, sista! I have so many flea markets and craft sales near me and I need to follow your lead and get my butt to them! I haven't introduced myself as a "blogger" yet and the thought of it seems super intimidating!

    Hannah Tattoos and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally intimidating - but everyone was really receptive. Now I have to follow through and post their pics... and my new jewelry, of course!

      Delete
  4. Way to get out there! I went to a flea market recently and was overwhelmed by how much beautiful, affordable jewelry was available, I left with many pieces. Can't wait to see what you found! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like a cool event!

    Lindsey Turner
    http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete