Friday, March 2, 2012

Mind Full of Springtime

I've read a couple of articles lately about mindful eating. My short-answer takeaway is to slow down to give yourself the time to really taste and appreciate what you put in your body. And in turn you slow down the chatter in your head to leave space to make better eating decisions. This makes tons of sense on so many levels, but I haven't practiced it yet (and I've been mulling over this topic for over a couple of weeks already...)

personal photo (clouds are much prettier than a pic of someone eating. mindfully or not!)

Slowing down has been theme that has been hitting hard for me lately.  My extra-curricular activities have filled up most of my evenings.  I enjoy and find benefit in all of the ensembles and classes I'm taking. And I don't want to slow down; I don't want to cut back on practicing or exercising or socializing, either.  I want to find a way to do all these things, and handle the stress at the same time.

When I have some down time, I'm usually thinking about my next meal or house chores or my next blog post or when I can go back to bed.  Maybe if the word "mindful" came before every activity, I would make better decisions in everything and in turn free up more time?  Can these things be done more mindfully, with any benefit?

mindful coffee-making
mindful internet browsing
mindful vacuuming or sweeping
mindful laundry or doing the dishes
mindful exercising
mindful driving
mindful practicing
mindful showering

These all sound so productive and satisfying, right? These kinds of meta-topics never have any conclusive, all-encompassing answers (for good reason). So - there's got to be an argument for non-mindfulness? Maybe being mindful all the time is just as exhausting as going from one activity to the next, even if you don't come up for air in between?  Can I schedule in some "mindful" non-mindful time?  Is that called sleep?  or fun?  or creativity? or everything in-between?





Both these pics were taken in the Allegheny Forest during summer camping weekends.  I ache for these weekends.  Maybe all I'm missing is the sunshine and the weekends away from the routine and city and the electronics and the media and the ____.  Cabin Fever?

Who's ready for spring????








3 comments:

  1. "When you contemplate the big, full sunrise, the more mindful and concentrated you are, the more the beauty of the sunrise is revealed to you."

    -Thich Nhat Hanh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mindful internet browsing should by default make sense. However, I often find that the last thing I am using on the internet is my mind! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Head Spinning>~

    So I decided to do some "Mindful Internet Browsing", I looked up criticisms for Nassim Harramein's unified theory. He has both interesting and fantastical ideas. I think it is healty to look at criticisms of what you believe in. An intelligent opinion wieghs both sides of the argument.

    However, more interesting than the criticism itself was the comments seciton. Where physicists argue daydreamers in an elegant train wreck. The only difference between these comments and those from youtube are the education level of the vocabulary. My quest for "Mindul Internet Browsing" was soon reduced to the equivalent of a Jerry Springer show on Life, the Universe and Everything.


    :)

    ReplyDelete