Friday, January 27, 2012

Artsy Fartsy


Adam and I enrolled in an acrylic painting class about 3 or 4 years ago.  We have been regulars in the course ever since.  We befriended both the instructor, Rob Lynch, and the studio, Buffalo ArtsStudio.  Besides being a great social outlet, the class has made Tuesdays my favorite day of the week!

Before every new session, I scour all my favorite art links for references and inspiration.  For the first couple of years I’ve been copying other artists' paintings to work on in class.  I took some art deco design ideas from this book:



From Dover Publications

And painted these:
They made for good kitchen art:



I worked on some more trees and nature scenes and then I moved on to copying painted faces:


I found this painting on the internet a couple of years ago and can't find the source - I guess I'm a bad blogger (but I wasn't blogging then).  Either way, if anyone knows who painted this beautiful painting based off of a Vogue Italia photo shoot of Christina Ricci I would love to know and give credit!

This is my version of Christina.
She sits on the chair rail behind the couch and if the
light is just right she can totally freak me out!




Next I tried to copy this illustration - which didn't have the brush strokes and color changes to easily copy.  I learned a little bit about proportions - notice how huge her hands are compared to the total size of the picture.  Her giant man-hands take up almost the whole top half of the painting:

 by Autumn Whitehurst You check out more of her stuff!  I super love it all!

 Although I've set it aside for now I still have a lot of clean-up to do my version of man-hands:

unfinished by me - looks best from faaaaaar away! 

I’ve learned a lot from this, but it’s time to start creating my own stuff.  So, I’m still working on portraits using real photos.  This is intimidating!  Paintings of faces (especially of faces you know) will always look a little wonky when painted by a student (or just by me).  But, the only way to improve is to keep going.  I would love to take a real photo and apply different styles to it.   Here are my latest style inspirations:
By Ben Frost
By Joshua Petker

By Takahiro Kimura
I'm always looking for photos of people I don't know to try to paint, too (because I know they will never visit my house, see the paintings and be saddened by how distorted their faces look):

by Vladimir Clavijo Telepnev

Photographer - Matjza Ocko Model - Erika Labanauskaite 

The winter session of our painting class just started again on Tuesday and I am working on my first familiar photograph.   Yikes!!   Since we just got married in April, I have TONS of photos of friends and family to work with.  Some of my favorite photos from our wedding came from the photo booth. I’m using the 2 middle pics of this lovely capture:

Sisters
These beautiful and silly ladies are Peggy and Marie, two of my five sisters.  Every time I look at these pictures I giggle.  I blew up the picture and penciled it to the canvas.  My wonky rendition of their faces was drawn while I was grinning ear to ear.  Look again at how cute and smiley they are! 

I’m not going to post any pictures of my drawing/ painting yet.  I’m still a little wary of how it will turn out.  I'd hate to mess up something as charming as this picture and the expressions in it!

I'm really excited to be back in painting class - and to be documenting it here on More Charming in Person!  I'm feeling a little more inspired and motivated because I'm putting this little hobby of mine out in the web-i-sphere.  I guess the blogging hobby has inspired the painting hobby.  That's team work! (that is, if hobbies were team members.  Mine would wear orange and blue, my team colors.)


Let’s hear it for hobbies!


No comments:

Post a Comment